e-commerce loyalty

Study Shows Customer Loyalty on E-commerce Sites Directly Linked to Profits

By | Blog | No Comments

According to a recent study on e-commerce sites, Internet users say that the more usable a site is and the better the experience they have while visiting the site, the more likely it is for them to stick with it ‘forever’.

Customer Loyalty

Customer Loyalty

Of course, such loyalty is exaggerated, but the implications are clear. The usability of a website goes hand in hand with customer service when fostering loyalty amongst Internet users, or in the case of e-commerce sites, potential customers.

The study involved a group of Internet users assigned to perform basic web tasks such as making purchases, finding information about products and more. Users were uninstructed on which sites to visit in order to make a purchase, thereby allowing them to make their own decisions. Half of the users used a search engine to attempt to make their purchase, while the other half went straight to a site they already frequented beforehand.

By simply bypassing search engines and typing in a URL of a site shows tremendous loyalty. It’s a clear sign that the user already has intimate knowledge of how the site works, and even suggests that he, or she, may have already made a purchase there before.

User loyalty to e-commerce sites however, goes beyond good recall of the site’s URL and other specifics.

The study also showed that users who attempted to find information about e-commerce sites through search engine results pages (SERPs) were not as likely to make a purchase as users who went directly to their preferred e-commerce site.

Amongst users who started through SERPs, only 39 percent made a successful purchase on their chosen e-commerce site. The remaining 61 percent, or 2/3 of the group, went on to do business somewhere else.

On the other hand, up to 70 percent of users who went directly to their preferred e-commerce site were shown to have spent their money there. The remaining 30 percent did their business elsewhere, showing that loyal or not, extra efforts must be made to keep e-commerce users happy.

This is a clear sign that SEO indeed plays a good role in the success of e-commerce, but it only comes second to ensuring the satisfaction of customers. Furthermore, it also shows that SEO has very little to do with encouraging customer loyalty. Therefore Enform believes that getting the balance between your business’ SEO and efforts and ensuring customer satisfaction that results in loyalty. Get in touch with us anytime if you need help in getting there.